Thursday, January 29, 2009

So upon reading my weekly comic books as of late, I have noticed an advertisement that keeps popping up. It has got to be the smartest anti-drug ad that I have ever seen. Now I am against drugs personally and I tend not to preach this to people; I feel like everyone is entitled to their own decision, and lately I have been seeing less and less wrong with it as a recreational choice. However, like most American teens, I usually find the television ads humorous and ridiculous in the way that they portray drug users. I will never forget the infamous commercial in which two young stoners run over a girl riding a bicycle because they were too busy laughing as they left a drive-thru window. I never pay attention when I leave the window at McDonald's, solely because I am too busy checking my bag to make sure I have received what I have paid for. Perhaps they should make an ad campaign about poor service at fast food restaurants, this way I can trust that I have the correct amount of hamburgers when I pull away from the window.

That was an unnecessary digression, but alas, here is the ad:









I think it's brilliant. Why would the slugs want to snort salt? It could kill them... oh wait, cocaine kills people all of the time, but it is still a common drug. Clearly it is not as drastic as a slug snorting salt, but the idea is still fantastic. It takes common knowledge and uses it to exhibit that drugs are outrageous and wrong. Once again, I want to say that I'm not trying to preach here, I just thought this was a great ad, and I rarely see anything this intelligent used in anti-drug advertising. I felt it deserved some recognition. With more ads like this one and the "Slomming" commercial, I think the anti-drug campaign would be much stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment