Monday, February 16, 2009

The sheer amount of people out there always fascinates me. I think about how many people I don't know that live in my town. Then I think of all of those in similar towns around me. Then all of those in my state, and in the country, and finally the world. It makes me start to wonder: is it possible to have individuality with those kinds of odds? I know I have said before that everyone has significant ideas and that those ideas separate us -- in the end that is all we have. The problem is, though, what if that idea itself is being thought of by a similar downtrodden young man at a similar point in life in a similar town in some other state. With all of the people out there, is it out of the realm of possibilities for someone to have the exact same moral code and the exact same theoretical mindset as the ones I have developed? And if these people have these things, I imagine it would not be hard for them to write about it all, and their trials and tribulations that they encounter in daily life. So how much individuality is really out there?

I often wonder how similar other towns are to mine; I imagine there are some across the country that seem like exact replicas. I want to go to these towns and know what people are thinking, know what is going on. I feel as though we can only gain insight from those who think like ourselves, and I know there are other's who are just like me. The odds say that there must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment